Friday, January 7, 2011

Sleep Training Update

It has been a full week since we began sleep training. We used the Ferber method which is explained in "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Dr. Richard Ferber. Ferber is a genius! His method is simple, easy to understand and easy to implement. Ferber provides plenty of encouragement for nervous parents. Also, special thanks to an awesome husband and father, Darin, for being willing to be the one to go in and comfort Hunter during this training.

Hunter is quick learner! He cried for 40 minutes last Friday night and by last night, he only cried for around two minutes before settling down and going to sleep. Hunter's naps still seem to be the same at daycare. He takes 2-3 naps and sleeps between 1 hr 25 min to 2 hr 5 min a day. On average, we have been putting him down for the night around 8pm. For the past week, Hunter has slept all night. If he has woken up, he hasn't cried so we don't know about it anyway.

I had to wake Hunter up every morning except once for the past week. I am anxious to see how late Hunter sleeps tomorrow so we can figure out if he is getting enough sleep at night. I am hopeful that his naps will be as good this weekend as they were last weekend.

I feel like there is finally some balance to our lives now that we aren't spending an hour or more trying to get him to go to sleep and stay asleep each night. Thanks to Hunter's new sleeping habits, Darin and I have actually had time to use the treadmill we bought each other for Christmas. If Hunter takes good naps this weekend, Darin and I should be able to finish the last bit of cleaning out the basement and box up all the stuff to take to Goodwill.

No comments:

Post a Comment